The safety of your baby is your priority and a car seat is essential to take care of it during any trip, short or long. Choosing a good chair is not something so simple that it can be decided immediately.
You should choose before your baby arrives, as your first trip will be from the hospital to your home.
There are many types and models on the market and this can make your task even more difficult. With this Guide, we want to help you find the best options and choose the seat that best suits your needs.
How important is Baby Car Seat?
- Car seat categories vary depending on your child’s size and weight. It is important to look for a quality chair that lasts every step of your childhood.
- There is a set of specific rules for use and standards for baby and child car seats. It is important to take this into account when choosing.
- While there are models that adapt to all stages of your child’s growth, you should not forget that the seats wear out. The materials are losing quality and efficiency with use, so it is worth buying more than one as it grows.
1. Graco SlimFit 3-in-1 Convertible Car Seat, Darcie
Graco SlimFit Baby Car Seat is a model that combines comfort, safety, and practicality, and ends up ensuring an excellent cost-benefit ratio.
- Ideal for a toddler to a baby, supports from 5 lb newborns up to 25 kg baby.
- Easy to clean some parts that made of metal and plastic with water and baby soap
- Secured with engineer and crash testing passed
- The seat is made of a very light and resistant plastic structure. It has a cup holder for your child’s bottle of water or juice
- Has moving round cup holders that help to reserve back seat space
2. Safety 1st Grow and Go 3-in-1 Convertible Car Seat, Harvest Moon
Safety 1st Grow and Go Baby Car Seat can be used for a long period of growth. First, 5 to 40 pounds rear-facing. Second, 22 to 65 pounds forward-facing. Finally, 40 to 100 pounds boost belt position.
- The baby’s harness and the headrest have simple position adjustment that keeps up with growth and ensures protection against any impact.
- The seat reducer is padded and the fabric can be easily removed for machine washing.
3. Evenflo Tribute LX Convertible Car Seat, Saturn
- Has a long life-time with many shoulder harness positions
- Passed side impact test standard of Evenflo
4. Evenflo Maestro Sport Harness Booster Car Seat, Granite
- The Sports Baby car seat has smart looks.
- Safe and secure Embrace body of your child with 5 Point Harness.
5. Graco Extend2Fit Convertible Car Seat, Gotham
- With the 4-position expansion, panel adjusts to supply 5″ further leg space permitting your kid to ride safely rear-facing longer.
- The mix of the foremost rigorous crash tests that help shield your kid in frontal, side and rear crashes
Shopping Guide: How to choose a Baby Car Seat?
Before buying a car seat, you must take into account different aspects and factors. Your decision will depend on your child’s age and size, as well as the type of travel you usually take.
In this section, we’ll look at some of the most frequently asked questions parents ask before deciding which model to buy.
Do I have to buy just one baby car seat for my child?
No, you have to change chairs to adapt to your child’s growth. According to the Car Seat Law, types and models vary according to the age of each child:
- Babies up to 1 year old should be carried in the back seat of the car on baby comfort, back to back.
- Children between 1 and 4 years old should be in the seat fastened with the belt and in the back seat.
- Children between 4 and 7 and a half years old should use a rear seat lift seat.
- Children aged 7½ to 10 years should only wear seat belts in the back seat.
Can I buy a second-hand car seat?
You may, but it is advisable to buy a new one because buying a baby car seat carries some risks. The seats usually have a kind of expiration date. They can usually be used up to 10 years after the date of manufacture.
However, the life of a baby car seat can be even shorter. Because?
- Wear: The materials of a baby car seat wear out with prolonged use. Most have a plastic structure, material that degrades over time. Metal parts may rust with moisture. The belt that holds the baby also wears out due to friction and washing.
- Imperceptible Damage: Even though it appears to be in good condition, a baby car seat may have some defects that make it less effective. Chairs have small pieces that get lost with use and transportation. If we do not know the origin of the chair, we do not know if it has had an accident or not. Impact on a collision may break the chair internally.
- New regulations: As we have already mentioned, the regulation on the use of baby car seats is considerably new and stricter. Until recently, models followed previous standards and regulations. A second-hand chair may not have the Isofix anchor system, for example.
Remember that buying the best baby car seat possible is an investment in the safety of your children.
How do I install my baby car seat in the car?
Installing the baby car seat can be dauntingly difficult for many parents. In the old way, wearing a seat belt makes it even easier to make a mistake. However, we have good news: the Isofix system significantly reduces this risk.
To choose the best baby car seat, there are several factors to consider. Not all parents and babies have the same needs, so you should consider the following criteria before making your decision:
- Anchor system
- Ages of use
The sole purpose of the baby car seat is to keep the little ones safe. Therefore, it is worth choosing chairs that have been evaluated and approved by Inmetro. There are comparative and detailed lists and analyzes, as well as essential information, always up to date. We recommend the search.
2.) Anchor system
In the market, there are still many baby car seat models that are not installed with the Isofix system. If your car has this system, we recommend that you choose an approved seat model.
Despite being more expensive, they are much safer. The risk of mounting a chair incorrectly is much lower using this system.
- Easier to install correctly
- Fits all compatible cars
- Recently certified by Inmetro, may be required soon
- Much higher price
- Not all cars have Isofix system
If you and your child travel often by car, your child will spend a lot of time in his or her chair. It is important that the child is comfortable. For this, you need to make sure that the pillows are soft and breathable.
Also, it is convenient for the child to be able to rest his head on the chair so that he can sleep better.
4.) Ages of use
As you may have noticed in our Ranking, there are baby car seat models for different age groups. Some are ideal for one age, others are better suited for another.
There are also convertible car seats that cater to virtually every weight group and can be worn from your child’s birth to 10 years.
We do not recommend these models as they often get poor evaluation results, especially when it comes to ensuring the safety of newborns. Also, remember that the seats wear out over time. It is best to invest in more than one quality car seat as your child grows up.
Buying a good baby car seat is investing in your child’s safety. When choosing, take into account the current regulations, make sure that the model complies with the Pram Act, and also be aware of the anchorage system.
In our ranking, you can find different options that adapt to the needs of the little ones.
You should keep in mind that your baby’s first car seat will not be the only one. Your child will grow up and the car seat will wear out over time. Look for a chair that suits the growth of the little ones. Your child will spend a lot of time in the car seat, so make sure she is soft and comfortable.